Harley Quinn and Power Girl #2
While Power Girl takes the thankless job of tanking a bunch of alien ships, Harley has to figure out how to stop a killbot when she has no weapons. Later, they all run into an alien supergroup called the XGF — the Ex-Girlfriend Force — all former lovers of Vartox. There’s an extended period of bickering — there’s only one man in the XGF, and he wants the team to pick a new name, and some of them are fairly jealous of Power Girl, whose alternate-reality counterpart was Vartox’s fave gal — and Harley shows up and hits everyone with hammers. So where the heck is Vartox anyway?
Verdict: Ehh, not a complete thumbs down, but I wasn’t wildly impressed. The character work is fine, the art is fine, the jokes went on a bit long and got a smidge repetitive.
Sensation Comics #12
In our first story, Wonder Woman discovers that Poison Ivy is attacking Themyscira — only to learn that Ivy is here only because she felt a warning from Gaia telling her to come here. The Amazons realize that a warning from Gaia means the monster Typhon is awakening from his ancient slumber and preparing to attack. Do Diana and Ivy have a chance against a monster vastly more powerful than they are? And in Story #2, after a particularly heinous crime by Dr. Destiny leaves Diana unsettled, Batman prescribes a vacation to a small mountain town with a Solomon Grundy problem…
Verdict: Thumbs up. Both stories are excellently written and illustrated. Poison Ivy’s massive tree-trunk armor is something that should be seen in comics more often.
Today’s Cool Links:
- A tale of true-life crime, greed, and comic books.
- This news report about a clown in a cemetery is worth watching both for the genius-level creepiness of the clown and for how hard the anchors and the witness are freaking out about the whole thing.
- Don’t expect to agree with all their picks, but this list of the Top 10 Most Beautiful Movies does indeed spotlight some amazingly gorgeous movies.
- The article is pretty short and clickbaity, but it’s fun to read about the history of the floursack dress.
- WILL NO ONE SAVE US FROM THE MACHO GAY RAINBOW WHALES?!?